Sunday, May 27, 2007

hello, nanchong!

I met with me Chinese tutor last week for the first time in a while. She's moving to the new campus along with the school leaders and science faculty and will be finally moved in next year. It's sort of a letdown being on the campus during its transition period and not really experiencing what it's supposed to be like. I can't imagine though what it must have been like for the Peace Corps couple here before me when construction was just beginning. I certainly have it better than them.

Tonight's the foreign language drama competition and I've been asked to sing a song. There are three plays followed by a break in which I play a song followed by another set of three songs. I was originally asked to be a judge, but was bumped last week for some unknown reason. I do enjoy singing songs and it's so easy to wow the Chinese audience. I'm going to be playing Long Train Running by The Doobie Brothers. It's not a great song, not even particularly good really, but the sound and rhythm are catchy and I can easily fit my sax in the breaks.

There's a new Peace Corps volunteer apparently coming to my school next year, and I'm admittedly torn regarding his or her arrival. For the past year I've been the only foreigner on the new campus, and much of my experience so far has reminded me of being in Talagante and only once every month or so seeing another American. It'll be nice though to get some help with executing certain projects and getting things done.

I've got to go and practice the song a few more times and memorize what I'll be saying when I'm on stage (in Chinese). My tutor gave me some great lines to use when I go out. I promise I'll post tomorrow with pictures/recap.

No comments: