Friday, April 20, 2007

posters

When I was living in Chile I collected lots of American movie posters in Spanish from movie rental places and theaters. I lost a bunch when I tried to pack them in my suitcase because they ended up too wrinkled and ripped, but they were still cool nonetheless. Anyway, when I was downtown today, I visited a few movie and music stores with posters plastered along the walls to inquire as to how much they were. At the end of the day, I had purchased a number of wickedly neat music posters with Chinese characters. The best ones I got are of a Justin Timberlake Futuresex/Lovesound album poster and a Babel poster both in Chinese.

One guy had literally hundreds of posters and was surprised to hear that I wanted to buy some. I grabbed about 15 and asked how much, but for some reason he didn't want any money. I insisted I give him some reimbursement, as many of the posters I wanted he had to climb up a ladder and pull them off the wall. I initially offered him 30 yuan (2 yuan each) but he said 20 was fine and I told him I'd be back later. I only had time to go through maybe half of the ones that he had.

Here's a picture of my new wall with some of the posters I purchased this afternoon. It resembles my college apartment wall where I had numbers of posters covering the wall of my bedroom.


Most of the Chinese pop music artists featured on the posters I've never heard of, some I have. Admittedly I'm not a fan of Chinese contemporary music, but it would be entirely elitist of me to judge it as I'm sure Chinese people harbor similar feelings regarding American popular music.


No comments: