Saturday, April 21, 2007

sixth sense

With the TEM-4 next week, I decided to show The Sixth Sense to my sophomore classes. We had been working the past few weeks on how to write a descriptive narrative. A lot of activities focused on how to use our senses to vividly describe a scene, person, place etc... Anyway, the movie itself was just a reward for recently finishing their latest big assignment, and a break before the exam this Sunday morning.

I realized after watching the movie again that a lot of Shyamalan movies are interesting stories but have way too many plot holes when you get down to the specifics. One of the things that really bothered me was how the ghosts find these weird kids to communicate with. I can only imagine that there is some call center that ghosts and spirits call when they want to meet someone. The conversation would go something like this:

Tech support: Hi, you've reached the Ghost Outreach center, how can I direct your call?
Ghost: I'm looking for a medium.
Tech support: Okay, what's the nature of your inquiry?
Ghost: I'm a 13-year-old girl who was poisoned by her mother. I'm looking to pass a video tape of her putting paint thinner into my food.
Tech support: Great, and do you have any alarming symptoms or conditions we need to be aware of?
Ghost: Yes, I am extremely pale and will vomit up my food on cue.
Tech support: Not a problem. And what's your location?
Ghost: Central Philadelphia.
Tech support: Well the closest one in your area is a 10-year-old boy named Cole. I'll go ahead and reserve a time for you at 10:00 for next Thursday. Remember to cancel at least 24 hours in advance or you'll be charged in full. I'll be using the insurance card you have on file. Thanks for calling the Ghost Outreach center.

I mean it's a great movie, but the story, when you get right down to it, just doesn't make any sense. The students really liked it though, and it was fun watching them scream at the scary parts. I had the chance to show the movie during one of my nighttime classes that really set the mood perfectly. Some of the students covered their eyes whenever they expected a scary scene.

In other news, I've got the first meeting of XiHua Online, the new and updated version of the previous website I had started cwnutimes.com. The new one, www.xihuaonline.com is much neater and has a few new features that weren't on the old site. I've done everything I can in terms of promotion, and hopefully there will be a big turnout. I'm starting to hand over the reins of the newspaper to my two students YangLiu (Joy) and XieYingMei (Esther), who both will be leading the first meeting with as little of my assistance as possible. Besides, I know students feel more comfortable expressing themselves to other students, whether in Chinese or in English, so having the two student leaders will be a perfect way of making all involved feel comfortable coming, writing, and asking questions.

I'll be posting what happens then. Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions on the site http://www.xihuaonline.com, would be welcome. To the left is one of the various posters I made to post around the school.

No comments: