Thursday, April 03, 2008

April Fools

Haha...

I got a text message from Sarah yesterday morning saying:
"I don't think I can go to the club tonight, I'm in the hospital"

And I initially get really worried, what's wrong with her?

Then I realize OH it's April Fool's. She's just joking around. Why else would she mention the fact that she couldn't go the club. Not true.

I send her a message back saying, "I'm coming downtown to see you, which hospital are you at?"

No answer.

I send her another message, "I'm downtown now, where are you?"

At this point I expect her to admit the April Fool's joke and tell me not to come, at which point giving me the win, but she replies finally, "I'm on my way to Chengdu, I need surgery."

I think, So! You want to one up me on this one now? I then answer her, "Are you serious? I'm canceling my classes to come up and make sure you're ok." This will get her now! She'll have to admit the joke.

She sends me a message back, "I'm at Hua Xi hospital near Aaron's school."

I answer her, "I'll be there in three hours, can I bring you anything?"

She replies, "Thanks. Maybe a book or something."

So at this point I've also told Ashley about what's happening and she agrees that Sarah's just joking around. We decide that Ashley is going to call Sarah from a public phone and pretend to be the Peace Corps medical officer and ask Sarah what's wrong in order to get her to admit that it's a joke. Ashley and I figure it's the knockout punch we need to end this.

Ashley calls Sarah on her cell phone and they begin talking. Ashley's voice is dead on and I can't help but laughing. She keeps her cool pretty well though; definitely believable. Ashley asks Sarah who's at the hospital with her. Sarah says that Dr. Gao and Dr. Jo (the PC medical officer) are with her. Ok, so we figure the gig is up and that Sarah probably knew it was Ashley. We conclude that there's no way though that Dr. Jo was with Sarah at that moment though.

Ashley decides she's going to call Durf and just make sure everything's ok. I say goodbye to her and go back to my house for a pre-class xiu xi. I get a phone call a few minutes later from Ashley explaining that Sarah's in Chengdu and is going to get some surgery done within the next couple days. Durf is surprised that we have not left for Chengdu yet.

Oops.

We're going on Friday morning to see her.

No comments: